Monday, October 13, 2008

How many people does it take to change a tire?

Apparently....3!!
So, I leave class tonight and start to back up the car and something is not right. I get out and sure enough my tire is as flat as a pancake. Hmmmmm,  I have never changed a tire. I have seen Justin do it many times. Do I remember any of it? Turns out, not much. Well, I open the trunk and get the stuff and can't find the stinkin' jack! I have a jack, right? Where do they put the stupid thing? Just then, Amanda (from my class) is going to her car and she stops to help. So, we get her jack and go to work. She's unbelievably helpful. I am really shocked. She knew to loosen the lug-nuts before you jack up the car. She jumps right in and does it. Now to jack up the car.....where? I had to get out the owner's manual, very helpful, it has idiot-proof, step by step instructions. So we finally, kind of, figure out the jack bar thingy and are jacking up the car when this helpful guy in the picture offers his help. Turns out, he has never actually changed a tire either. So, Amanda took off the tire, helpful, friendly guy operated the jack and then I put the tire on and tightened the lug-nuts. TA-DA!! I didn't even have to call AAA. It was actually hilarious and I'm sure there was someone watching from a distance laughing hysterically. But wow, what a sense of accomplishment. Amanda and I were gleaming with pride as we walked back into the school to wash our really black and icky hands. 
To all you women out there (or men for that matter) that haven't changed a tire...DO IT! At least know how so you aren't completely helpless if this happens to you! 

I should also note that when I got home Justin found the jack, repaired the tire and put it all back together in a matter of minutes. Not fair!

7 comments:

Brooke said...

You're good for even trying. I would probably start crying and grab the cell phone!

The Leavitt Family said...

Good Job! I'm proud of my twin! I guess that's why we have husbands. LOL Love your guts! Thanks again for all your help today!

Crytal

Aubrey Anne said...

hahahaha that's exactly what would happen if I got a flat. I should definitely get Justin to give me a lesson. My dad taught me years ago, but I don't remember squat!

Anonymous said...

i am so proud of you, you little independant women. Way to grab the tire iron by the horns and change that tire! You Rock, Girl!

Debbie said...

Way to go!

natterbee said...

Great story! I've watched several people change tires, but I can't ever seem to remember all the steps in order. Nice tip about the instruction manual, by the way. Last time I got a flat tire, I couldn't figure out how to get the spare out from under the back of the van. I was 8-months pregnant. wearing nice clothes, and on the freeway. Did anyone pull over to help? Nope. Thank goodness I have a cell phone so Rob could come rescue me!

The Weight Family ♥ said...

Krista really did help with this! She's not just the photographer! Haha! You'll have to teach me how to do that cause my ghetto mobile should start falling apart anyday now! Love ya!